The National Geographic Institute of Belgium, created in pursuance of the Act of 8th June 1976,
is a semi-public organization under the responsibility of the Ministry of Defence of Belgium.
The main actual statutory missions of the NGI-IGN are:
- to establish and maintain the national planimetric and altimetric networks;
- to carry out the aerial photographic coverage of the Kingdom;
- to produce and update the topographic base maps as well as the derived maps;
- to process the geographic data acquired by use of aerospatial remote-sensing techniques;
- to digitize the cartographic data;
- to carry out or implement, on behalf of third persons, products and services relating to the
specific activities of the Institute;
- to co-ordinate, collect and disseminate the topographic and cartographic information related to
ground and subsoil;
- to organize and manage a documentation centre for the aerial photographic and aerospatial remote-sensing coverage of the Kingdom.